Sunday, March 19, 2017
Saturday, March 18, 2017
The Port Meeting in Sitka has been re-scheduled for 7pm on Sunday 3/19 at the NSRAA conference room. Also, due to the herring schedule or lack of schedule, the SEAS Board meeting will be at 7pm March 18th at the Silver Bay office. Folks are welcome to attend!
at 5:32 PM
Wednesday, March 15, 2017
Monday, March 06, 2017
NSRAA will hold their Spring meeting March 8th and 9th starting at 9am at the NSRAA Board Room in Sitka. SSRAA will hold several planning meetings on March 7th and their Board meeting on the 8th at the Cape Fox Lodge. Attend, keep informed, let your Board member know your opinion.
at 11:09 AM
Thursday, March 02, 2017
HB 115 is a tax bill calling to tap the permanent fund and establish a state sales tax. The problem is that they have added language to a section ( 43.22.050) of the bill that would make skippers liable to collect state income tax on all crew members if a state tax is implemented. This would be a nightmare! Why they are singling out crew members and not other groups who hire contractors is a mystery. During the UFA's Spring meeting in February, we had the opportunity to address our delegation about how much this is not a workable scenario, and offered other methods of collecting said tax should the bill pass. Keep your eye on this one....
at 10:40 PM
Friday, January 20, 2017
The referendum to authorize an assessment to purchase 22 seine permits at a cost of $5.8 million was not approved by the required majority of permit holders.
180 (57%) out of the 315 ballots sent were returned to NMFS by the January 13 deadline. Of the 180 ballots returned, 132 voted YES (in favor of the plan); and 48 voted NO (in opposition to the plan). The 132 YES votes fell short of the required majority (158) necessary to approve the Plan.
NMFS will publish the referendum results in the Federal Register next week.
at 10:30 AM
Friday, January 13, 2017
Today is the last day to send in your vote on the buy back. SEAS tried to provide you with information to make an informed decision. It's important for future opportunities that there is a good response to the vote, so NOAA feels their time and effort to conduct these are well spent. So, no pressure, yes or no, just keep your ability to make these decisions an option in the future.
at 2:24 PM
Friday, December 16, 2016
Below is a fact sheet concerning the initiative
SOUTHEAST FLEET CONSOLIDATION PROGRAM
- · Congress authorized $23.5 million loan program
- · 2012 NMFS conducted referendum on plan to repay a 13.1 loan to remove 64 permits
- · 215 out of 269 permit holders voted to approve plan (190 required for approval)
- · $10.4 million loan authority remaining
§ Interest rate on this loan is 4.57% over 40 years
§ Assessment 2012 - 3%; 2013 – 1.5%; 2014 – 1.5%; 2015 – 1.0%; 2016 – 1.0%
§ Assessment collected as of 11/07/2016 = 5.8 million
§ Remaining principal 9.3 million
§ On year 18 of a 40 year amortization schedule
- · January 2013 11 bids range $265,000 - $450,000; average $355,773 All rejected by SRA Board
- · May 2014 9 bids range $325,000 - $450,000; average bid $388,222 All rejected by SRA Board
- · June 2016 29 bids range $219,000 - $447,000; average $291,965 22 accepted by SRA Board
- · 22 bids range $219,000 - $300,000; average $262,863; total loan amount 5.8 million
- · NMFS approved plan in October, published notice in Federal Register on November 7th
- · NMFS will conduct referendum Dec 13, 2016 – January 13, 2017
- · 158 yes votes are required to approve (majority of 315 permit holders)
- · If approved $4.6 million loan authority will remain
- · Plan assumes a 40 year loan term at estimated 5% interest rate; yearly payment of $344,600
- · Combined yearly loan payment estimated at $880,400
- · Projected $2.3 million generated by 3% assessment is nearly three times the required amount needed to pay back the loan
- · NMFS has informed the SRA that in the event this referendum is not approved, it is highly unlikely NMFS would agree to conduct a referendum for an alternative Plan in the foreseeable future
at 8:33 AM
Wednesday, December 07, 2016
SEAS BOARD OF DIRECTORS ELECTION RESULTSYour re-elected members are Mitch Eide, Jeremy Jensen, and Al Jacklet. Welcome new Board member Justin Peeler- Treasurer. We sincerely thank Troy Thomassen for his service on the Board. Other current Board members are Dan Castle- President, Randy Stewart- Vice President, Gary Haynes- Secretary, John Barry, Nik Nebl, Steve Huestis, Stan Savland, Kellan Patrick, Laugh Leach.
at 5:38 PM